Converse Commercial



The Commercial

This was a commercial about Converse. We chose Converse because we thought there could be a lot of freedom with a shoe commercial and it could include a lot of unique ideas. The concept of this commercial was to show different types and colors of Converse in common settings but still being unique and fun.

The Process

My team's process was a little rough. The team was consisted of 2 juniors and 2 seniors (me being a senior). This meant that there was a combination of talents. I took the production role as director and one of the juniors was the cinematographer so I had her take the responsibility of storyboarding. I found out during the Pre-Production process that half of our team liked to be organized and half of us liked to go "out into the wild" and shoot what they would feel necessary. This worked for this commercial because it did not need an order to it. We basically told our actors to do what was comfortable (except for the synchronized steps on the stairs and moving to the beat). In the end of our process, we agreed that for a feature film and short film, there needs to be a script and storyboards and more organization but this commercial had a lot of freedom to it. On set, we were putting all of our ideas together at once and as director, my attitude was basically "why not try it?" because there were a lot of good ideas that didn't hurt to try (a few of them were used in the video). For editing, our editor organized our useable shots, downloaded our music, and started playing around. We knew that the end was going to be fast paced but other than that, everything was up to her. After the rough edit was done, we focused on color correction and color grading and put on a LUT filter.

Things I would change or keep

The thing I would change the most is time management. We were the last group to have our synopsis and the last to finish filming. Granted, half of our group was gone for 2 days and we couldn't do much with planning, so we had to add another day to our pre-production. We also had other assignments to do in class so we put our pre-production to the last minute. But, in the end, we made it work and our video proves that.

I really loved making this video because it showed the creativity that my group had and was executed very well. My group was also a lot of fun and we had the same ideas and were able to collaborate very well. This is probably one of my best videos I have worked on so far in my opinion.

Comments

Popular Posts